KEFAR ḤITTIM (Heb. כְּפַר חִטִּים), moshav shittufi northwest of Tiberias. After earlier attempts at settlement failed, the settlement was renewed in 1924 by a Ha-Po'el ha-Mizrachi moshav group, which was replaced in 1932 by a group of Sephardi Jews who left two years later. In 1936 the immigrant group "Ha-Koẓer" from Bulgaria permanently established the first moshav shittufi in the country there. Farming was based on field and garden crops, deciduous and other fruit trees, dairy cattle, and poultry. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 290, rising to 330 in 2002.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.