KEFAR HESS (Heb. כְּפַר הֶס), moshav in the southern Sharon, Israel, affiliated to Tenu'at ha-Moshavim, founded in 1933 by settlers from Eastern Europe. After 1948, the moshav was enlarged by newcomers from Hungary. Its economy was based on intensive farming: citrus groves, field crops, poultry, flowers, and beehives. In 1967 its population was 410, rising to around 650 in the mid-1990s and 971 in 2002 after additional expansion. Kefar Hess is named after Moses *Hess.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.