GAN ḤAYYIM (Heb. גַּןחַיִּים), moshav in central Israel in the southern Sharon near *Kefar Sava, affiliated with Tenu'at ha-Moshavim. It was founded in 1935 by veteran farm workers from Russia and other East European countries. The moshav expanded in 1949 when settlers from Romania joined it. Citriculture constituted a prominent farm branch. The population in 1968 was 220, rising to 350 in the mid-1990s and 607 in 2002 after expansion. The moshav is named after Chaim *Weizmann.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.