KEFAR ROSH HA-NIKRAH (Heb. כְּפַר רֹאש הַנִּקְרָה), kibbutz in the Acre Plain, Israel, near the Lebanese border, on the slope of the Rosh ha-Nikrah-Ḥanitah ridge, affiliated to Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. It was founded in 1949 by a group of Israeli-born youth. In addition to highly intensive farming (field crops, bananas, avocado orchards, citrus groves, poultry, dairy cattle, fruit trees) the kibbutz operated a cafe on top of the Rosh ha-Nikrah Cape (which forms part of Sullam Ẓor, the Ladder of *Tyre separating the Acre and Tyre plains), near the police frontier post, and a cable car leading down to the sea grottoes of the cape. In addition, the kibbutz had a holiday village with a spa. Below Rosh ha-Nikrah Cape, to the south, was the Israel Police Force rest resort. In 1969 Kefar Rosh ha-Nikrah had 318 inhabitants. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 560, while in 2002 it decreased to 491. The name Rosh ha-Nikrah ("Headland of the Cleft") is derived from the Arabic name for the spot Ra ʾ s al-Nāqūra.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.