KEFAR MASARYK (Heb. כְּפַר מַסַּרִיק), kibbutz in the Haifa Bay area, Israel, S. of Acre, affiliated to Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. It was founded as a *stockade and tower settlement in 1938 by pioneers from Czechoslovakia. The partly brackish swamps near the Na'aman Stream mouth required, in the first years of the settlement, concentrated reclamation and drainage work. Beside intensive farming branches (field crops, orchards, fishery, dairy cattle, and poultry), the kibbutz has also developed industrial enterprises such as a plant producing printed cartons, a company servicing satellite equipment, and an R&D plant for electronic devices. Its population was 480 in 1967 and 592 in 2002. It is named after Tomáš G. Masaryk, first president of Czechoslovakia.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.