The second truce of the 1948 War went into effect on July 18, 1948, at exactly 1900 hours. As in the first truce, violations from both sides were being made already on the day of its commencement. The Arab Legion, for example, intensified its bombardment of the New City of Jerusalem and continued to do so well into the months of July, August, September, and October.
Jerusalem suffered extensive damage as a result of the shelling, mortaring, and machine-gun fire it fell victim to almost nightly. On August 12, the Legion demolished the Latrun pumping station, despite the fact that it was under UN control. In response, Israel speedily laid a pipeline along the Burma Road, which served to keep Jerusalem supplied with water. The attacks stopped only on November 30, when both sides agreed to a “sincere cease-fire.”