LEOVO (Rum. Leova), town in S.W. Moldova, in the region of Bessarabia. There were 25 Jewish families living in Leovo in 1817. The community grew as a result of the large Jewish immigration into Bessarabia in the 19th century and numbered 2,773 persons (57% of the total population) in 1897. The Jews there were subject to the legislation restricting Jewish residence in the border zone. The ẓaddik Dov Baer, the son of Israel (Friedmann) of *Ruzhyn, whose defection from Ḥasidism to the maskilim caused a furor, lived in Leovo in the 1860s. The writers Judah *Steinberg and Jacob *Fichmann taught there. Among the 434 members registered in the Jewish loan fund in 1925, there were 84 farmers, 102 craftsmen, and 163 businessmen. There were 2,326 Jews living in Leovo (35% of the total population) in 1930. The community then maintained a kindergarten and a school, both belonging to the *Tarbut network.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.