NOVOSELITSA (Rom. Nouaˇ Suliţa or Suliţa), town in the Khotin district, region of Bessarabia, Moldova. As a result of the large emigration of Jews to Bessarabia, Novoselitsa developed in the first half of the 19th century from a rural into an urban community. There were 3,898 Jews living there (66% of the total population) in 1897 and 4,152 (86.2%) in 1930. Among the 875 members registered in the loan fund in 1925, were 461 merchants, 213 craftsmen, and 65 farmers. Prior to World War II, community institutions included a talmud torah, a kindergarten, and a school, all belonging to the *Tarbut network, and an old-age home. The town was annexed on June 29, 1940, to the Moldavian S.S.R.
M. Carp, Cartea Neagra, 3 (1947), index; N. Kahn in: Eynikayt (Sept. 11, 1945); BJCE. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Pinkas Hakehillot, Romanya, vol. 2 (1980).
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.