Auschwitz-Birkenau Photographs: Birkenau Camp "Facilities"
Auschwitz-Birkenau Photographs: Table of Contents|Allied Liberation|Birkenau Today
Click Left/Right to Scroll
- The main gate to Birkenau
- Wooden bunks in the barracks
- Reconstructed barracks
- The prisoners' latrine
- View of the Birkenau B-IA section of the camp from the main watch tower after January 1945—“Death Gate”
- Prisoner Bunks in Birkenau (post war photo)
- Birkenau crematorium under construction
- Photograph from June 26, 1944, annotated by the CIA showing the entire Auschwitz-Birkenau complex
- Photograph of Birkenau from December 21, 1944, captioned by the CIA
- Rail entrance to Birkenau. Beyond the gate is what is generally known as "the ramp".
- Roof of the underground gas chambers of Crematorium II. The low structure to the right is where the ventilations system and single chimney were.
- This small-gauge track was one of fifteen leading to five furnaces consisting of three retorts each.
- Into this pond were dumped the ashes of many tens of thousands of people, mostly Jews, who were gassed at Krematorium IV, just behind and to the left.
- This is where prisoners selected for slave labor were processed. Often people would have to wait outside naked in any weather. It is also where prisoners already in the camp were deloused because of the raging typhus epidemics.
- The gate at BIb where women prisoners were marched from their barracks to and from slave labor.
- Entrance to one of the two large extermination areas in Birkenau.
- Crematorium II. The structure above is the collapsed roof, dynamited by the SS.
- This opening in Krem III, below ground , may be all that is left of the chute down which bodies from the camp population were dropped.
- This is a part of the device used to thrust bodies into the furnace in Crematorium IV
- Large pits, like the one here, were used to dump the last vestiges of many people.
- All that is left of Crematoriun IV. It was burned by the Sonderkommando in their revolt of October 1944 and subsequently dismantled by the SS before running from the advancing Soviet Army.
- This blackened and charred pile of bricks are all that remain of the walls of the double, four muffle furnace of Crematorium V
- Barracks in the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp. This photograph was taken after the liberation of the camp.
Mitchell Bard; U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum; Shoah - The Holocaust; The Mazal Library; Alan Jacobs