Auschwitz-Birkenau Photographs: Allied Liberation
Auschwitz-Birkenau Photographs: Table of Contents|Camp "Facilities"|Auschwitz Today
Click Left/Right to Scroll
- Prisoners of Auschwitz greet their liberators (after January 7, 1945)
- Arrest of Josef Kramer, last Commandant of Auschwitz. Kramer is shown under arrest by British military. He was later tried as a war criminal and hanged.
- Jewish children in Auschwitz II (Birkenau) pose in camp uniforms between rows of barbed wire fencing after liberation.
- Canada warehouse burned by Nazis at Auschwitz
- The first commandant of Auschwitz, SS-Obersturmbannfuhrer Rudolf Höss, who was tried and sentenced to death after the war by the Polish Supreme National Tribunal, was hanged here on April 16, 1947. This was the only time this gallows was used.
- Birkenau (postwar photo)
- Birkenau crematorium after being destroyed by the Germans (postwar photo)
US Holocaust Memorial Museum; Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies; Mitchell Bard