BAIGNEUX-LES-JUIFS, village northwest of *Dijon . Jews settled in the commune at its establishment in the middle of the 13th century, giving the locality its name. They were expelled with the other Jews in the duchy of Burgundy in 1306. The inventory made of their debts and property indicates that the community was fairly numerous and prosperous. Green and red wax, parchment, ink, and paint were taken from a Jew referred to as Rebi or Rabi – most probably the scribe of the community. The medieval synagogue was located on the present Rue Vergier-au-Duc.
J. Garnier and E. Champeux, Chartes de Communes… Bourgogne (1898), 161f.; Gauthier, in: Mémoires de la société d'émulation du Jura, 3 (1914), 78, 225–32.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved