KOILA (or Kales; Turk. Kilye), Byzantine city in the Gallipoli Peninsula. There was a Jewish quarter there in the 12th century. In 1136 the revenues of whole markets (emporia) of the Jewish quarter in Koila and the tithe on the wines were assigned to the Monastery of Christ Pantokrator in Istanbul. *Benjamin of Tudela, who visited the city as it was on his way back home after Gallipoli, speaks of 50 Jews, with R. Jacob and R. Judah at their head. There remain no traces of this community.
J. Thomas et al. (eds.), Byzantine Monastic Foundation Documents: A Complete Translation of the Surviving Founders' Typika and Testaments, 2 (2000), 725, 770; The Itinerary of Benjamin of Tudela, Critical Text, Translation and Commentary, ed. M.N. Adler (1907), 25; S. Bowman, The Jews of Byzantium 1204–1453 (1985), 335.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.