KLINTSY, city in Oriol district, Russian Federation. Jews settled there at the turn of the 18th century. Before the 1917 Revolution, Klintsy belonged to Chernigov province and was included in the *Pale of Settlement. In 1897 the Jewish community numbered 2,605 (21% of the total population). In pogroms instigated by local government officials in October 1905 two Jews were killed and Jewish homes looted. The Jewish population numbered 5,248 (23.4%) in 1926, and grew to 6,505 (16% of the total) by 1939. There was a Yiddish elementary school and an evening school for adults. The Germans occupied the town on August 20, 1941, and they set up a ghetto. Some 150 skilled workers were taken to an unknown destination and were probably killed. In early December 1941, the Germans murdered the remaining 3,000 Jews. Jews returned after World War II and one synagogue still existed in 1970.
Die Judenpogrome in Russland, 2 (1910), 275.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.