The General Assembly,
Guided by the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations,
Guided also by international humanitarian law, in particular the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,1 as well as international standards of human rights, in particular the Universal Declaration of Human Rights2 and the International Covenants on Human Rights,3
Recalling its relevant resolutions, including resolutions 2443 (XXIII) of 19 December 1968 and 56/59 of 10 December 2001, and the relevant resolutions of the Commission on Human Rights,
Recalling also relevant resolutions of the Security Council,
Convinced that occupation itself represents a gross and grave violation of human rights,
Gravely concerned about the continuation of the tragic events that have occurred since 28 September 2000, including the excessive use of force by the Israeli occupying forces against Palestinian civilians, resulting in thousands of deaths and injuries,
Having considered the reports of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories4 and the relevant reports of the Secretary-General,5
Recalling the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements of 13 September 19936 and the subsequent implementation agreements between the Palestinian and Israeli sides,
Expressing the hope that the Israeli occupation will be brought to an early end and that therefore the violation of the human rights of the Palestinian people will cease,
1. Commends the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories for its efforts in performing the tasks assigned to it by the General Assembly and for its impartiality;
2. Reiterates its demand that Israel, the occupying Power, cooperate with the Special Committee in implementing its mandate;
3. Deplores those policies and practices of Israel that violate the human rights of the Palestinian people and other Arabs of the occupied territories, as reflected in the reports of the Special Committee covering the reporting period;
4. Expresses grave concern about the situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, as a result of Israeli practices and measures, and especially condemns the excessive and indiscriminate use of force since 28 September 2000, which has resulted in almost two thousand Palestinian deaths and tens of thousands of injuries;
5. Requests the Special Committee, pending complete termination of the Israeli occupation, to continue to investigate Israeli policies and practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967, especially Israeli violations of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,1 and to consult, as appropriate, with the International Committee of the Red Cross according to its regulations in order to ensure that the welfare and human rights of the peoples of the occupied territories are safeguarded and to report to the Secretary-General as soon as possible and whenever the need arises thereafter;
6. Also requests the Special Committee to submit regularly to the Secretary-General periodic reports on the current situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem;
7. Further requests the Special Committee to continue to investigate the treatment of prisoners and detainees in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967;
8. Requests the Secretary-General:
(a) To provide the Special Committee with all necessary facilities, including those required for its visits to the occupied territories, so that it may investigate Israeli policies and practices referred to in the present resolution;
(b) To continue to make available such additional staff as may be necessary to assist the Special Committee in the performance of its tasks;
(c) To circulate regularly to Member States the periodic reports mentioned in paragraph 6 above;
(d) To ensure the widest circulation of the reports of the Special Committee and of information regarding its activities and findings, by all means available, through the Department of Public Information of the Secretariat and, where necessary, to reprint those reports of the Special Committee that are no longer available;
(e) To report to the General Assembly at its fifty-eighth session on the tasks entrusted to him in the present resolution;
9. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fifty-eighth session the item entitled "Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories".
11 December 2002
2 Resolution 217 A (III).
3 Resolution 2200 A (XXI), annex.
4 See A/57/207 and A/57/421.
6 A/48/486-S/26560, annex.
Sources: The United Nations