UN General Assembly Resolutions: Resolution 2546
(December 11, 1969)
The General Assembly
Guided by the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations,
Bearing in mind the provisions of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949 1/ and the provisions of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
Recalling the humanitarian resolutions regarding the violations of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the territories occupied by Israel, especially Security Council resolutions 237 (1967) of 14 June 1967 and 259 (1968) of 27 September 1968, Commission on Human Rights resolutions 6 (XXIV) of 27 February 1968 2/ and 6 (XXV) of 4 March 1969,3/ and the relevant resolutions of the International Conference on Human Rights held at Teheran in 1968, the Economic and Social Council, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and the World Health Organization,
Further recalling its resolutions 2252 (ES-V) of 4 July 1967 and 2443 (XXIII) and 2452 (XXIII) of 19 December 1968,
Concerned that the provisions of these resolutions have not been implemented by the Israeli authorities,
Gravely alarmed by fresh reports of collective punishments, mass imprisonment, indiscriminate destruction of homes and other acts of oppression against the civilian population in the Arab territories occupied by Israel,
1. Reaffirms its resolutions relating to the violations of human rights in the territories occupied by Israel;
2. Expresses its grave concern at the continuing report of violation of human rights in those territories,
3. Condemns such policies and practices as collective and area punishment, the destruction of homes and the deportation of the inhabitants of the territories occupied by Israel;
4. Urgently calls upon the Government of Israel to desist forthwith from its reported repressive practices and policies towards the civilian population in the occupied territories and to comply with its obligations under the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the relevant resolutions adopted by the various international organizations;
5. Requests the Special Committee to investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Population of the Occupied Territories,4/ established under General Assembly resolution 2443 (XXIII) to take cognizance of the provisions of the present resolution.
1/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75 (1950), No. 973.
2/ See Official Records of the Economic and Social Council, Forty-fourth Session, Supplement No. 4, (E/4475), chapter XVIII.
3/ Ibid., Forty-sixth session, document E/4621, chapter XVIII.
Sources: The United Nations