SENLIS, town in the Oise department, N. France. The presence of Jews in Senlis is confirmed from at least 1106, when *Odo of Cambrai stopped in Senlis on his way to Poitiers, and held a religious disputation with a Jew of the town named Léon. In 1208 at the latest, Jews lived in a special quarter, the Judaria, a sign of their numerical importance. Later most of them lived on two streets, the Grande Juiverie, which subsequently became the Rue de la Chancellerie, and the Petite Juiverie, which became the Impasse du Courtillet. However, from a comparison of the amounts which the Jews paid, at the close of the 13th century, toward the Jewish *badge tax and their share of the poll tax, it is clear that the financial resources of the community were more significant than its numbers. No renowned Jewish scholar seems to have lived in Senlis. There is no evidence that the Jews returned to Senlis after the expulsion in 1306.
Gross, Gal Jud, 660f.; Bernard, in: Compterendus et Mémoires de la Société d'Histoire et d'Archéologie de Senlis, 6th series, 5 (1934–39), li–lv; E. Mueller, Monographie des Rues, Places et Monuments de Senlis, 1 (1880), 148ff.; L. Lazard, in: REJ, 15 (1887), 250, 254 (esp.).