RAMAT YISHAI (Heb. רָמַת יִשַּׁי), semirural settlement in N. Israel, in the Tivon Hills. It was founded in 1925 by industrialists from Poland as a textile center. Abandoned with the outbreak of the Arab riots in 1936, Ramat Yishai was resettled in 1943. In 1958 the settlement received municipal council status. In 1970, it had 800 inhabitants and medium-size factories for textiles and leather. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 2,990, increasing to 5,280 in 2002 on an area of nearly a square mile (2.3 sq. km.). The majority of residents found work in the Haifa conurbation. Income was much higher than the national average. The town is named after the writer and teacher Yishai Adler, whose contribution was instrumental in rebuilding the settlement in 1943.