KEFAR NEBURAYA (Nibborayya; Heb. כְּפַר נִבּוֹרַיָּה), village in Upper Galilee, the home of Jacob of Kefar Neburaya, a popular preacher of the third century C.E., who was often in conflict with the rabbinical authorities and was suspected of heresy (TJ, Yev. 2:5). It has been identified with Khirbat al-Nabratayn, a ruin 2.5 mi. (4 km.) north of Safed. Here were found the remains of an ancient synagogue measuring 55 by 39 ft. (17 × 12 m.) whose facade is oriented toward Jerusalem. Inside are two rows of four columns. The limestone lintel is decorated with a laurel garland and a menorah within a wreath. An inscription added to the lintel in 564 C.E. records the reconstruction of the building by Ḥanina son of Lezer (Eliezer) and Luliana (Julianos) son of Judah. A sculptured figure of a lion was also found there.
H. Kohl and C. Watzinger, Antike Synagogen in Galilaea (1916), 101ff.; Alt, in: PJB, 21 (1925), 37; Avigad, in: BRF, 3 (1960), 49ff.