LAZNE KYNZVART (Czech Lázně Kynžvart; Ger. Bad Koenigswart), health resort in W. Bohemia, Czech Republic. Jews lived in Lazne Kynzvart as early as the beginning of the 14th century; the cemetery dates from 1405. In 1430, after the community had absorbed Jews expelled from *Cheb (Eger), it consisted of 180 families. The synagogue was renovated in 1608, according to tradition by Jesuits whom the Lazne Kynzvart Jews had helped to cross the frontier when they were being persecuted by the *Hussites during the Reformation period. In 1724 there were nine Jewish families in the town. From the end of the 17th century and for about 200 years afterward, Lazne Kynzvart was the seat of the district rabbinate. At the beginning of the 19th century the Jewish community was under the protection of Prince Metternich. The community
E. Bloch, in: ZGJT, 3 (1933), 35–39; M. Mandl, in: H. Gold (ed.), Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart (1934), 320–1.