BUDYNĚ NAD OHŘÍ (Ger. Budin), town in Bohemia (Czech Republic). Jews are first mentioned there in the 13th century. A Hebrew inscription in a flour mill records that in 1535 the Czech traveler Jan of Hazmburk leased it to a Jew to obtain money for his journey to Palestine. A synagogue was built in Budyně in 1631 (burnt down in 1759 and rebuilt in 1821). The community numbered 49 persons (11 families) in 1638. The old cemetery was closed under *Joseph II and a new one consecrated in 1798. In 1800 the community adopted a yellow flag for its insignia, similar to the guild flags. In 1892 it adopted Czech as the official language and closed down its German-language school. There were 176 persons living in 11 localities under the Budyně communal jurisdiction in 1902, and 50 Jews living in Budyně in 1930. The community was liquidated by the Nazis in 1942.
A. Jahda, in: H. Gold (ed.), Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens (1934), 78–90 (Cz.).
[Oskar K. Rabinowicz]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.