SENNABRIS, locality in Galilee, 30 furlongs (c. 3½ mi.; 5½ km.) from Tiberias, bordering on the Jordan Valley (Jos., Wars, 3:447; 4:455, as Ginnabris). Vespasian camped there on his way into Galilee in 68 C.E. In 351 C.E. the army of Ursicinus, the general of Gallus Caesar, reached Sennabris and oppressed the inhabitants. An *Umayyad palace of the caliphs located there was in use from the time of Muʿāwiya (661–680) up to the eighth century. The village and the bridge over the
A. Laarisalo, The Boundaries of Issachar and Naphthali (1927), 81–82; Albright, in: AASOR, 2/3 (1923), 36; Mayer, in: IEJ, 2 (1952), 183ff.; Bar-Adon, in: Eretz Israel, 4 (1956), 50ff. ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: Y. Tsafrir, L. Di Segni, and J. Green, Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea – Palaestina. Maps and Gazetteer. (1994), 226.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.