KEFAR SHEMARYAHU (Heb. כְּפַר שְׁמַרְיָהוּ), semi-rural Israeli settlement with municipal council status in the southern Sharon. Kefar Shemaryahu is named after Shemaryahu *Levin. Founded in 1937 as a middle-class moshav by immigrants from Germany, from the outset it was based on intensive farm branches, primarily poultry breeding, with its farmers belonging to the Ha-Mo'aẓah ha-Ḥakla'it association. From the 1950s, its proximity to the *Herzliyyah beach and the extension of the Tel Aviv conurbation caused its gradual transformation into a middle-class garden suburb, which has also developed as a recreation and entertainment center. A writers' and artists' house was opened there. Besides smaller industrial enterprises, it housed the Tene-Nogah central dairy. In 1969, the village numbered 1,260 inhabitants, becoming an upscale community. In 2002 its population was 1,790 residents, occupying a square mile (2.5 sq. km.)
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.