Ramat Gan


Ramat Gan is Israel's greenest city, adhering to a self-imposed rule that stipulates that 25% of the city's area must be dedicated green space.

There are varying accounts regarding when its lands were first purchased, some say 1914, and other accounts note 1918. What is known is that Ramat Gan was initially established as a semi-rural neighborhood, known as Ir Ganim (city of gardens) between 1921-1923 by residents of Tel Aviv and Jaffa. In 1923 its name was officially changed to Ramat Gan (which literally translated means Garden Height). Archeological finds from the Bronze, Iron and Byzantine eras have been found in Ramat Gan.

Until 1933 it functioned as a Moshav (a cooperative agricultural settlement). In 1926, under the British Mandate it was also recognized as a local council. At the time it had 450 residents.

By 1946 Ramat Gan's population was 12,000 and, in 1950, it was recognized as a city. In 1955 the city's population had grown to 55,000.

Abraham Krinitzi was Ramat Gan's first mayor and served in this capacity 43 years. For many years his name was synonymous with the city.

In 1961, the area that includes Bar Ilan University and the Chaim Sheba Medical Center (Tel Hashomer Hospital) became part of Ramat Gan. In 1968, the world's largest diamond exchange opened in Ramat Gan (which also features a diamond museum).

The city is also home to the National Park, named in honor of Abraham Krinitzi. The park includes the Safari, a large outdoor zoo. In addition, Kfar Ha'Maccabiah (site of many sports events) and the, Shenkar College of Engineering & Design are also located in Ramat Gan.

Ramat Gan is comprised of the following distinct neighborhoods; City Center, Nachalat Ganim, Kiryat Krinitzi, Ramat Shikma, Ramat Itzahk, Shuchnat Rishonim, Tel Yehuda, Giva'at Geula, Neve Yehoshua, Kiryat Borchov, Ramat Amidar, Ramat Chen, Shikun Vatikim, Shchunat Hillel, Elite and Diamond exchange area and Tel Binyamin.

This suburb of Tel Aviv, which is adjacent to Givatayim, now has a population over 150,000.


Source: Gems in Israel