Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Established in 1964, the University of the Negev was renamed in 1973 to commemorate the recent death of former Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion and his dream to see the development of the Negev. Located in Beer Sheva, BGU has an enrollment of approximately 17,000 students and offers degree-granting faculties in Engineering Sciences; Humanities and Social Sciences; Natural Sciences; Health Sciences; and the School of Management. The University has assumed the mission of spearheading the development of the Negev, and as a result has an expertise in desert research. Other areas of research and study include immigrant absorption, urban renewal projects, environmental problems, applications of biotechnology to industry, and solar energy plants and their utilization in industry and agriculture.
Source: Bard, Mitchell G. and Moshe Schwartz. 1001 Facts Everyone Should Know About Israel. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2005.