Jews first settled in the Virgin Islands in 1655 when
it was ruled by Denmark. These were mainly traders in sugarcane, rum
and Molasses. One of the first Jews in the Virgin Islands was Gabriel
Milan, whom King Christian of Denmak sent in 1664 to be governor, the
first of three Jews who have served as governors.
In 1685, the Jews and Catholics were granted freedom of religion
and about two centuries later, in 1850, the Islands' Jewish population hit its peak, numbering 400
and making up half of the white community.
After the opening
of the Panama Canal in 1914, the number of Jews declined rapidly and by 1942 only 50 Jews remained. Since then the community has rebounded and is roughly
the size it was at its peak. A number of famous Jews have been born in the Virgin Islands including French impressionist painter Camille Pissarro and David Levy Yulee, Florida's first senator.
In 1796, the Jews of St. Thomas founded a synagogue that is now considered the oldest continuous-use synagogue under the American flag (the Virgin Islands are an American territory).
In 1801, only nine Jewish families belonged to the congregation but,
by 1803, this number had increased to 22, with arrivals from England, France, and the Caribbean islands of St. Eustatius and Curacao. In 1804 the small Synagogue was
destroyed by fire but was quickly replaced a few years later in 1812.
Soon, the congregation grew so large
that by 1823 it was dismantled and a larger building erected in the same
location on Synagogue Hill. It was named the Congregation of "Blessing
and Peace and Loving Deeds." The Congregation numbered 64 families
when a city-wide fire destroyed the Synagogue in 1831.
St. Thomas Synagogue
The present-day Synagogue building was built in 1833 with
the help from worldwide Jewry and the entire island community. Sabbath religious
services have been held there every week since 1833 with only one exception: September 15,
1995, when Hurricane Marilyn devastated the island.
The Synagogue was built in the traditional Sephardic style since its original congregants migrated as a result of the Spanish
Inquisition. In Sephardic architecture, the seating permits congregants
to face one another instead of theater-style as in Ashkenazic and most stateside synagogues. Also in keeping with Sephardic architecture,
the bimah, where the Rabbi or reader
stands, is opposite the arc in which our six Torahs are housed.
Everything in the historic St. Thomas Synagogue building
is original, dating back to 1833. The benches, the Ark and the bima
are all made from mahogany wood that used to flourish on the islands.
The Menorah behind the bima is of Spanish origin and dates back to the
11th century. The chandeliers are from Europe, probably Holland. The
central fixture with nymphs looks French in design and each lamp is
made of Baccarat crystal. The peripheral chandeliers have since been
electrified but the central ones are still lit by candles on important
holidays. Originally all the chandeliers used to be lit with oil.
walls are specially designed to be fireproof (because the building was
built of bricks and stone rather than wood) and hurricane-proof, as
are the windows. They allow for a free passage of air while blunting
some of the force of the wind. The stones are locally quarried but the
bricks came from Europe. The huge sailing ships that arrived from Europe
had relatively little to sell here and so filled their hulls with the
bricks to be used as ballast. Once the ships arrived in St. Thomas,
the bricks were unloaded and used for local building needs while the
ships took the locally produced rum and sugar back to Europe. The cement
that holds the bricks together is a mortar made from sand, limestone
and molasses. It is said that in the earlier years, children used to
lick the walls of the synagogue to taste the sweet molasses. (However,
that sounds like legend because the walls originally were covered with
The four pillars that support the building symbolize
the four matriarchs in Judaism - Sarah, Rachel, Rebecca and Leah. These pillars, like those
at the entrance to the building, were handmade in Denmark especially
for the synagogue from rounded bricks.
Another unusual feature of the synagogue is its sand
floor. Legend tells us that it is symbolic of the desert through which
Moses and the children of Israel wandered for 40 years. The more likely
explanation has to do with the fact that this was originally a Sephardic
Orthodox (they were what they were - there was no name for distinction)
community. During the Spanish Inquisition, when Catholic Spain persecuted
all other religions and forcibly converted the Jews to Catholicism,
Jews who opted to practice Judaism - an offense punishable by death
- had to do so in secrecy. They met in cellars of their homes and used
sand to muffle the sounds of their prayer.
time, years of rain and moisture penetration into the walls, coupled
with low maintenance of the building, caused some of the plaster to
peel off, only to show underneath a beautiful stone wall. In 1973 the
congregation arranged to strip the remains of the damaged white plaster
and bring to the fore the brick and stone walls of the synagogue. More
than 25 years later, it was discovered that the plaster on the walls
was not only considered the epitome of beauty in 1833 but also served
an important function. It acted as a skin on a body, allowing the walls
to breathe and dry the absorbed moisture without losing any of the wall.
Today, the synagogue is affiliated with the Reform movement. The low wooden walls in the Synagogue served as a m'chitzah
to separate the women from the men during the early years when the Congregation
was Orthodox. Since the Synagogue
is the only one on the island, it serves the religious needs of a diverse
Jewish population. The first Confirmation ceremony in the Western Hemisphere
took place at the synagogue on October 14, 1843.
the year of the Bicentennial, 1995-96, a small museum was added to the
synagogue, named after the late Johnny Weibel, a member of the congregation.
The museum demonstrates the history of the congregation and the synagogue
and displays some of the artifacts of the Jewish history on the island.
The Altona Cemetery is one of two historic cemeteries
owned and maintained by the Hebrew Congregation of St. Thomas.
Judaica. CD-ROM 1996.
Zaidner, Michael (ed.). Jewish
Travel Guide 2000. Vallentine Mitchell& Co. 2000.
Julie Kay, "Synagogues in the Sand." The Forward (March 2, 2012).
Photo Credits: St.