CORBEIL, capital of the department of Essonne, France. Jews lived there from at least the second half of the 12th century. They were expelled in 1180 with the other Jews in the kingdom of France, but are again mentioned in Corbeil from at least 1203. They owned a synagogue (escholle) whose building was preserved until the 14th–15th centuries. The Rue des Juifs, the ancient Judearia, still exists. The Jews were again expelled from Corbeil in 1306 with the other Jews in the kingdom, and returned in 1315. The community ceased to exist in 1321. Corbeil was an important center of Jewish learning in the Middle Ages. Its scholars included the tosafist Judah of Corbeil, *Jacob of Corbeil "the Saint," Samson of Corbeil, *Isaac b. Joseph, and *Perez b. Elijah. At the beginning of the German occupation of France in World War II (1941), 13 Jewish families were registered in Corbeil, but there was no Jewish community there after the war.
J.A. Le Paire, Histoire de Corbeil, 1 (1901), 85, 88–89, 165, 169; E. Hamelin, Les rues de Corbeil (1908), 70–71; REJ, 9 (1884), 62f.; Gross, Gal Jud, 559ff.; Z. Szajkowski, Analytical Franco-Jewish Gazetteer (1966), 270.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.