CHÂTEAU-THIERRY (Heb. כרך טיירי), town in Northern France, E. of Paris. The medieval Jewish community occupied the present rue de la Loi. There was certainly a synagogue in Château-Thierry during the second period in which Jews resided there, from 1315 to 1321; in 1317 legal proceedings were initiated against Christian inhabitants who had forced their way into the community. After the expulsion in 1322, Jews from Château-Thierry are found in Barrois (
). The local scholars included
Samuel of *Evreux
and the tosafists Isaac and his son Bonne-Vie. During World War II the census of 1942 showed 14 Jews registered in Château-Thierry. Previously the
organization had established an agricultural school there.
Gross, Gal Jud, 257–9; A.E. Poquet, Histoire de Château-Thierry (1839), 146; Annales de la Société historique et archéologique de Château-Thierry (1888), 14; Z. Szajkowski, Analytical Franco-Jewish Gazetteer (1966), 151.
Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group.
All Rights Reserved.