Join Our Mailing List

Sponsor Us!

Encyclopedia Judaica:
Château-Landon, France


France: Virtual Jewish World |French-Israel Relations| Dijon


Print Friendly and PDF

CHÂTEAU-LANDON, village S. of Paris. A Jewish community existed there from at least 1174. The Rue des Juifs was situated near the present Place au Change; the former mint was previously a Jewish house. The Jews were expelled in 1180, but there was a Jewish settlement in Château-Landon in the 13th century. The scholar Solomon b. Judah lived there at the end of the 13th century. The community ceased to exist with the expulsion of the Jews from France.


BIBLIOGRAPHY:

P.E. Poitevin, Histoire de Château-Landon (1836); Gross, Gal Jud, 259ff.; M.J.L. Sachs, in: Sinai, 13 (1943), 223–35.

[Bernhard Blumenkranz]


Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.

 

Back to Top