CHARLEVILLE


CHARLEVILLE, town in the Ardennes, northern France, once ruled by the house of Gonzaga and therefore outside the kingdom of France. Jews received permission to settle in Charleville on May 25, 1609, shortly after the foundation of the city. In 1630, they were granted a plot of land on which to build a synagogue, and another to be used as a cemetery. Most of the Jews were expelled from Charleville in 1633 but a new community was formed there in 1651. The former Rue des Juifs is the present-day Rue Taine. In 1968 the community numbered 250, united with the community of Sedan, and had a synagogue.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

J. Hubert, Histoire de Charleville (1854), 133ff.; Robinet, in: AI, 2 no. 1 (1965–66), 2ff.

[Bernhard Blumenkranz]


Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.