The University of Haifa is a public research university located on Mt. Carmel in Haifa.
Founded in 1963 as Haifa University College, the name was officially changed to the current University of Haifa in 1970. In 1972, the Council for Higher Education in Israel granted the university full academic accreditation, including the right to award a bachelor's degree in twenty-four departments and a masters degree in twelve. With its accreditation, University of Haifa became the sixth academic institution in Israel and the fourth university.
The university currently had faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences, Law, Science and Science Education, Social Welfare and Health Studies, Education, a graduate school for Business Administration, and a Center for Maritime Studies. It has about 18,000 students and 40 research centers in various fields. The Oranim Teachers' College and the Ohel Sarah College of the Emek became branches of the university. Subsequently the Ohel Sarah College became the independent Emek Jezreel College while the Oranim Teachers College continued partially to cooperate with the university in various fields of study.
In 1984 the Hecht Museum, named for Reuven and Edith Hecht, was established on the campus. The museum exhibits Reuven Hecht's collections of Ereẓ Israel archeology and modern art. The university also runs an overseas study program for students from all over the world who wish to study in Israel. The library, which is situated in a specially designed modernistic unit, includes 700,000 volumes and has pioneered the use of computers for preparation of bibliographies and bibliographic data. It also includes material for psychological tests and audio-visual material. The Haifa campus houses the IBM building, thus enabling the university to cooperate with the high-tech industry.
Sources: Bard, Mitchell G. and Moshe Schwartz. 1001 Facts Everyone Should Know About Israel. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2005; Wikipedia; Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.