YAVNEH (Heb. יַבְנֶה), kibbutz in the southern Coastal Plain of Israel, about 5 mi. (8 km.) S. of the town of Yavneh, affiliated with Ha-Kibbutz ha-Dati. It was founded in 1941 by pioneers from Germany. They were later joined by members from English-speaking and other countries and by Israeli-born graduates of the *Bnei Akiva movement. Yavneh soon became a center of the religious kibbutz movement and set up a yeshivah, Kerem be-Yavneh, and a *Youth Aliyah village, Givat Washington. In 1970, Yavneh numbered 645 inhabitants; a further 200 lived at the yeshivah. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 730, rising to 1,030 in 2002. The kibbutz developed intensive, mostly irrigated farming as well as having poultry, turkeys, dairy cattle, and field crops. It also produced cattle feed and had a hatchery turning out 600,000 chicks a week along with a food preserves plant and watch factory. The historical name Yavneh was chosen for the kibbutz for its proximity to the historical site of *Jabneh.
Sources: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.