Both leaders (Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu and Paraguayan President Horacio Cartes) expressed their satisfaction with the excellent bilateral friendly relations, reinforced dialogue and high-level visits between the two countries. They also stressed the importance of improving bilateral economic relations and cooperation in various areas of mutual interest.
In order to reaffirm the excellent relations and friendship between the two countries and promote cooperation, the leaders declare as follows:
1. President Cartes highlighted the role of MASHAV, Israel's Agency for international Development Cooperation, in aiding the development of assistance programs and technical capacity for the Paraguay institutions responsible for International Cooperation, acknowledged the support received from the State of Israel and expressed his desire to strengthen this relationship. Prime Minister Netanyahu noted that Israel's intention is to continue strengthening this cooperation, and to this effect a Declaration of Intent, which highlights the main areas of cooperation, will be signed.
2. Prime Minister Netanyahu noted the Israeli trade and economic interest in Paraguay. President Cartes highlighted the opportunities offered by Paraguay, such as the advantages in the cost of production, monetary and legal stability, as well as its strategic geographical location, which is a platform for MERCOSUR and the world. Both leaders instructed their respective ministers and institutions to expand economic ties, trade relations, investments and cooperation between the two countries.
3. Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Cartes exchanged views on the main issues in the international agenda, especially on the developments in the Middle East and in South America, and agreed to continue the coordination between the two countries on these issues, reaffirming the importance of basic values, such as democracy, human rights and the rule of law and emphasizing the importance of peaceful resolution of conflicts, in accordance with International law.
4. Both leaders expressed satisfaction regarding the ongoing political dialogues between the Foreign Ministries of the two countries, which has been taking place since 2015.
5. President Cartes explained that the geographical location of the Republic of Paraguay will allow it to become an important center for interconnection with the countries of the region, through the development of infrastructure and regional logistics. Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed support for the recognition of the special needs of Paraguay as a landlocked developing country. President Cartes expressed his willingness to coordinate in the International Fora a balanced position with respect to issues concerning the State of Israel.
6. Both leaders expressed the desire to promote bilateral legal cooperation and exchange of knowledge and experiences between the two countries, and welcomed the signing of the Joint Declaration of Intent on Cooperation in the field of Legal Matters between the Ministry of Justice of the State of Israel and the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Paraguay.
7. The leaders welcomed the signing of the Joint Declaration of Intent on Emergency Cooperation Management, and noted with satisfaction the signing of the Program of Cooperation in the Fields of Education, Science, Culture, Youth and Sports for the Years 2016 -2018.
8. President Cartes and Prime Minister Netanyahu reaffirmed the importance of working together on global challenges, such as the issues discussed in the context of the United Nations, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, human rights, environment and climate change, and the importance and role of the United Nations for preserving peace and international security. Both countries will continue their close dialogue in various UN fora.
9. Both Israel and Paraguay encourage the use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, especially in the field of radiological applications for medical and agricultural purposes. Both leaders encourage cooperation between the relevant authorities from both countries.
10. President Cartes, on behalf of the Government and people of the Republic of Paraguay expressed his deep appreciation for the warm welcome and privileged attention offered by the Government and people of the State of Israel, both to him and his delegation during the visit.
Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs