Nahalat Shiv’a was the third Jewish neighborhood created outside the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem. It was founded in 1869 and named after seven founders. The neighborhood is characterized by its small houses built around inner courtyards with water cisterns at the center.
Over the course of time, there was incresing pressure on the Municipality of Jerusalem to demolish the neighborhood and build skyscrapers and roads in its place. All the proposals were rejected.
In 1988, the neighborhood was renovated by the Municipality, the infrastruture renewed, the streets repaired and the facades of the houses were restored.