The Fokker S.11 Instructor, a light wing monoplane with either two or three seats, first went into production in 1947. The type has seen service with the air arms of the Netherlands, Italy and Brazil.
In 1949 the Instructor was one of three aircraft evaluated by the IAF to replace the Boeing Stearman as the IAF's primary training aircraft. The type was selected, apparently for its side-by-side seating and its relatively low price, and the first of 41 examples entered service with the IAF's flight school in 1951. The local weather, weak engine and fragile landing gear however, made the S.11 unsuitable for the training role and it was withdrawn from the flight school by the end of 1953. The aircraft were transferred to a light squadron, where they were employed for night and equipment flying. Unsatisfactory in these roles as well, the type was soon retired. The ten surviving Instructors were sold off in 1957, some to an Israeli flying club. One example still remains in airworthy condition in the IAF Museum.
Specification: Fokker S.11 Instructor
Type: two seat training monoplane.
Powerplant: one Lycoming O-435.
Performance: max speed - 215km/h, range - 695km, service ceiling - 4,000m.
Weights: empty - 810kg, max takeoff - 1100kg.
Dimensions: span - 11.00m, length - 8.15m, height - 2.40m.
Sources: IAF Inventory