The Acting Secretary of State to the Secretary of State, at Paris
Washington , June 1, 1949—1 p. m.
Telac 38. Fol replies questions ur 2202 and 2218 May 31.1
1. Dept agrees re desirability agreement in principle before frontier delineation that water resources will be used benefit all states concerned. Will so inform Ethridge requesting his views re feasibility obtaining such agreement at Lausanne. Economic Survey Group which PCC plans activate near future wld resurvey water resources in question with view their equitable use by all states concerned for development and refugee settlement purposes.
2. Dept believes Abdullah shld not enter into reference separate conversations with Israel parallel to Lausanne talks, and is instructing Leg Amman so to advise King. According to info from Amman King has practically made up mind take same decision.
3. View Jordan now administering Pal territory Dept believes shld be feasible proclaim incorporation near future, with proviso re final boundary settlement at later date, but believes essential consult Ethridge before making final decision view possible effect on Lausanne talks. Also consulting Ethridge re extension Brit treaty to Pal territory and will advise urgently.2
4. Dept believes Wright visit Washington would be helpful. Would be interested learn what specific topics he would like discuss.
- The latter is dated June 1; see footnote 1, p. 1081.
- These matters were raised with Mr. Ethridge in telegram Unpal 125, June 1, 7 p. m., to Lausanne (501.BB Palestine/6–149); its content closely paralleled that of telegram 72 to Amman of the same date, infra.
Source: U.S. State Department