Bet Herut (Heb. בֵּית חֵרוּת;
Home of Freedom) is a moshav in central Israel, in the Ḥefer Plain, founded in 1933. The settlers, mostly from East and Central Europe, transformed their village in 1966 from a regular moshav into a moshav shittufi. Its economy was based on citrus plantations, garden crops, and milch cattle. In 1970 Bet Ḥerut numbered 290 inhabitants, more than doubling to 616 by 2002.
Source: Efraim Orni, Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.