The General Assembly,
Recalling its relevant resolutions, including those adopted at its tenth emergency special session, and the resolutions of the Commission on Human Rights,
Bearing in mind the relevant resolutions of the Security Council, the most recent of which are resolutions 904 (1994) of 18 March 1994 and 1073 (1996) of 28 September 1996,
Having considered the reports of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories1/ and the reports of the Secretary-General,2/
Aware of the responsibility of the international community to promote human rights and ensure respect for international law,
Reaffirming the principle of the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force,
Reaffirming also the applicability of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,3/ to the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967,
Recalling the signing of the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements by the Government of the State of Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization in Washington, D.C., on 13 September 1993,4/ as well as the subsequent implementation agreements, including the Israeli-Palestinian Interim Agreement on the West Bank and the Gaza Strip signed in Washington, D.C., on 28 September 1995,5/ and the signing of the Sharm el-Sheikh Memorandum on 4 September 1999,
Noting the withdrawal of the Israeli army, which took place in the Gaza Strip and the Jericho Area, and the subsequent Israeli redeployments in accordance with the agreements reached between the parties,
Concerned about the continuing violation of the human rights of the Palestinian people by Israel, the occupying Power, including the use of collective punishment, closure of areas, annexation and establishment of settlements and the continuing actions by it designed to change the legal status, geographical nature and demographic composition of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including Jerusalem,
Convinced of the positive impact of a temporary international or foreign presence in the Occupied Palestinian Territory for the safety and protection of the Palestinian people,
Expressing its appreciation to the countries that participated in the Temporary International Presence in Hebron for their positive contribution,
Convinced of the need for the full implementation of Security Council resolutions 904 (1994) and 1073 (1996),
1. Determines that all measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including Jerusalem, in violation of the relevant provisions of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,3 and contrary to the relevant resolutions of the Security Council, are illegal and have no validity and that such measures should cease immediately;
2. Demands that Israel, the occupying Power, cease all practices and actions which violate the human rights of the Palestinian people;
3. Stresses the need to preserve the territorial integrity of all the Occupied Palestinian Territory and to guarantee the freedom of movement of persons and goods within the Palestinian territory, including the removal of restrictions on movement into and from East Jerusalem, and the freedom of movement to and from the outside world;
4. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to accelerate the release of all remaining Palestinians arbitrarily detained or imprisoned, in line with agreements reached;
5. Calls for complete respect by Israel, the occupying Power, of all fundamental freedoms of the Palestinian people;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its fifty-fifth session on the implementation of the present resolution.
71st plenary meeting
6 December 1999
1/ A/54/73 and Add.1 and A/54/325.
3/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973.
4/ A/48/486-S/26560, annex; see Official Records of the Security Council, Forty-eighth Year, Supplement for October, November and December 1993, document S/26560.
5/ A/51/889-S/1997/357, annex; see Official Records of the Security Council, Fifty-second Year, Supplement for April, May and June 1997, document S/1997/357.
Sources: The United Nations