The General Assembly,
Recalling its relevant resolutions,
Bearing in mind the relevant resolutions of the Security Council,
Having considered the reports of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories 1/ and the relevant reports of the Secretary-General, 2/
Considering that the promotion of respect for the obligations arising from the Charter of the United Nations and other instruments and rules of international law is among the basic purposes and principles of the United Nations,
Noting the convening of the meeting of experts of the high contracting parties to the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, 3/ at Geneva, from 27 to 29 October 1998, at the initiative of the Government of Switzerland in its capacity as the depository of the Convention, concerning general problems of application of the Convention in general and, in particular, in occupied territories,
Stressing that Israel, the occupying Power, should comply strictly with its obligations under international law,
1. Reaffirms that the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949,3 is applicable to the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967;
2. Demands that Israel accept the de jure applicability of the Convention in the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967, and that it comply scrupulously with the provisions of the Convention;
3. Calls upon all States parties to the Convention, in accordance with article 1 common to the four Geneva Conventions,Ibid., Nos. 970973. to exert all efforts in order to ensure respect for its provisions by Israel, the occupying Power, in the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967;
4. Reiterates the need for speedy implementation of the recommendation contained in its resolutions ES-10/3 of 15 July 1997, ES-10/4 of 13 November 1997 and ES-10/5 of 17 March 1998 with regard to the convening of a conference of the high contracting parties to the Convention on measures to enforce the Convention in the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and to ensure its respect in accordance with common article 1;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its fifty-fourth session on the implementation of the present resolution.
78th plenary meeting
3 December 1998
1/ See A/53/136 and Add.1 and A/53/661.
2/ A/53/259, A/53/260, A/53/264 and A/53/660.
3/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973.
Sources: The United Nations