The General Assembly,
Taking note of Economic and Social Council resolution 1992/57 of 31 July 1992,
Recalling its resolution 46/199 of 20 December 1991,
Guided by the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and affirming the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force and Security Council resolutions 242 (1967) of 22 November 1967 and 497 (1981) of 17 December 1981,
Recalling also Security Council resolution 465 (1980) of 1 March 1980, and other resolutions affirming the applicability of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949 1/ to the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967,
Expressing its concern at the establishment by Israel, the occupying power, of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, including the settlement of new immigrants therein,
Welcoming the Middle East peace process started at Madrid on 30 October 1991 and recognizing that a complete freeze of settlement activity would significantly enhance the prospects for progress in this process,
1. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General;2/
2. Deplores the establishment of settlements by Israel in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and the other Arab territories occupied since 1967, and regards the settlements as illegal and therefore an obstacle to peace;
3. Recognizes the economic and social repercussions of the Israeli settlements on the Palestinian people in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, occupied by Israel since 1967, and on the Arab population of the Syrian Golan;
4. Strongly deplores Israel's practices in the occupied Palestinian territory and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, in particular its confiscation of land, its appropriation of water resources, its depletion of other economic resources and its displacement and deportation of the population of those territories;
5. Reaffirms the inalienable right of the Palestinian people and the population of the Syrian Golan to their natural and all other economic resources, and regards any infringement thereof as being without any legal validity;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to submit to the General Assembly at its forty-eighth session, through the Economic and Social Council, a report on the progress made in the implementation of the present resolution.
* * *
2/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Forty-seventh Session, Supplement No. 1 (A/47/1).
RECORDED VOTE ON 47/172: 150-3-5
In favour: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechoslovakia, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zaire, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Against: Federated States of Micronesia, Israel, United States.
Abstaining: Croatia, Marshall Islands, Russian Federation, Samoa, Uruguay.
Absent: Albania, Argentina*, Armenia, Central African Republic, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Dominican Republic, El Salvador*, Equatorial Guinea, Georgia, Grenada, Nigeria, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Uzbekistan.
*Later advised the Secretariat that it had intended to vote in favour.
Sources: The United Nations