The General Assembly,
Guided by the principles of the Charter of the United Nations and affirming the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force and Security Council resolutions 242 (1967) of 22 November 1967 and 497 (1981) of 17 December 1981,
Recalling Security Council resolution 465 (1980) of 1 March 1980, General Assembly resolution 45/74 of 11 December 1990 and other resolutions affirming the applicability of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949 1/ to the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967,
Expressing its concern at the ongoing establishment by Israel, the occupying Power, of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, and the settlement of new immigrants therein,
1. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General;2/
2. Deplores the establishment of settlements by Israel in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and the other Arab territories occupied since 1967, and regards those practices as unlawful and therefore without any legal effect;
3. Recognizes that the continuing establishment of settlements and their ongoing enlargement in the Palestinian territory and the other Arab territories occupied by Israel since 1967 and the settlement of new immigrants have adverse consequences for the economic and social development of the Arab population of those territories;
4. Strongly deplores Israel's practices in the occupied Palestinian territory and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, in particular its extensive confiscation of land, its diversion of water resources, its depletion of the natural and economic resources of the occupied territories and its displacement and deportation of the population of those territories;
5. Reaffirms the inalienable right of the Palestinian people and the population of the Syrian Golan to their natural and economic resources, and regards any infringement thereof as being without any legal validity;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to submit to the General Assembly at its forty-seventh session, through the Economic and Social Council, a report on the economic and social consequences of the establishment of settlements by Israel in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, and the Syrian Golan.
* * *
1/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973.
RECORDED VOTE ON RESOLUTION 46/199: 125-2-9
In favour: Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Djibouti, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Syria, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine*, USSR*, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Against: Israel, United States.
Abstaining: Bulgaria, Canada, Côte d'Ivoire, Germany, Kenya, Netherlands, Romania, United Kingdom, Uruguay.
Absent: Afghanistan, Belarus*, Belize, Bhutan, Cambodia, Comoros, Congo, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Gambia, Grenada, Haiti, Marshall Islands, Mauritania**, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Vanuatu, Zaire.
*Later advised the Secretariat that they had intended to abstain in the vote.
**Later advised the Secretariat that it had intended to vote in favour.
Sources: The United Nations