On August 9, 1941, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt met British Prime Minister Winston Churchill for four
days of talks aboard the USS Augusta off the coast of Newfoundland.
end they agreed on eight principles
that would inform their policies on war and peace:
- Renunciation of territorial aggression
- Opposition to territorial changes without consent of the peoples
- Support for the right of people to choose their own government
- Access to raw materials for all nations
- Support of efforts to improve the economic condition of people
throughout the world
- Freedom from fear and want
- Freedom of the seas
- Disarmament of aggressors
The Atlantic Charter, as the document came to be known
offered an ideal vision of the postwar world.