In 1654, three shiploads of Jewish refugees from Brazil settled in Guadeloupe. During that time, the Jews were welcomed by the
French owner of the island. Even the capital of Guadalupe, Pointe-a-Pitre
was named after a Brazilian Jew, called Pietre who started a fish processing
plant in the city. The Jews established sugarcane plantations, which
ultimately became the country’s leading export. In 1685, however,
King Louis XIV issued “The Black Code” expelling all Jews
During the latter part of the 20th century, many Jews
began to arrive from North Africa and France.
In 1988, the Jewish community consecrated the first synagogue in Guadeloupe, Or Sameah. Later the congregation added a Talmud Torah,
community center, kosher store, and Jewish cemetery.
Today, approximately 50 Jews live in Guadeloupe.
Communaute' Cultuelle Israelite
1 Bas du Fort
97190 Gosier, Pointe-a-Pitre
Tel. 590 90 99 08