WOLFSBERG, small town in Carinthia, S. Austria; under the rule of the Bamberg bishopric in the 13th century. Jews are first mentioned there in 1289, and in 1304 the duke of Carinthia granted them a charter of privileges, which was renewed in 1311. During the Host libel at *Pulkau (1338), the Jews of Wolfsberg were accused of having stolen the consecrated bread of the Eucharist, having made it bleed, and having tried to burn it. More than 70 Jews were burned at the stake on August 19, and the community disappeared. In 1346 one Jew was permitted to resettle in Wolfsberg.
Germania Judaica, 2 pt. 2 (1968), 918–9.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.