UEBERLINGEN, town in Baden, Germany. Although the oldest gravestones discovered in Ueberlingen date from 1275–76, a Jewish community with a synagogue and cemetery was in existence in 1226. In 1240 the bishop of Constance forbade the setting up of a private mint in Ueberlingen either by a Jew or a Christian. A Jewish witness to an agreement appears in a source dated 1253. Most Jews made their living through *moneylending: in 1289 a Jewess, Guta of Ueberlingen, lent a considerable sum of money to Bishop Frederick of Montfort to permit him to participate in a Church Council in Wuerzburg. The Jew Samuel lent money in 1290 to a minister of high position and to the bishop of Constance; even King Louis IV, the Bavarian, was a debtor of Ueberlingen Jews. A tax list of 1241 indicates that the Jewish population was one of the smallest in Germany at the time, but by the beginning of the 14th
Germania Judaica, 1 (1962), 389–90; 2 (1968), 838–42; F. Hundsnurscher and G. Taddey, Die juedischen Gemeinden in-Baden (1968), 167–8; L. Loewenstein, Geschichte der Juden am Bodensee und Umgebung (1879), 1–56; B. Rosenthal, Heimatsgeschichte der badischen Juden (1927), index; M. Stern, in; ZGJD, 1 (1887), 216–29.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.