TOMASHPOL, town in Vinnitsa district, Ukraine; before the 1917 Revolution in the administrative province of Podolia. In 1847 there were 1,875 Jews living in Tomashpol. The town developed extensively as a result of the sugar industry and trade there. Between 1883 and 1918 Judah Leib *Levin (Yahalal) lived there, employed as an accountant in the factory owned by the *Brodski family. There were 4,518 Jews (over 90% of the total population) in the town in 1897. During the civil war many Jews in Tomashpol fell victims of the pogroms perpetrated by the armies of *Denikin in February 1920. By 1926 the number of Jews in the town had decreased to 3,252 (54.3%).
After the German occupation of Tomashpol in 1941, the Jews who remained there were murdered.
In the late 1960s the Jewish population was estimated at 1,000. There was no synagogue, the last remaining synagogue having been confiscated in 1956 and converted into a tailoring workshop.
A.D. Rosenthal, Megillat ha-Tevaḥ, 3 (1931), 60–63.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.