SKVIRA, city in Kiev oblast, Ukraine. Skvira was an ancient town which was completely destroyed at the end of the 16th century. In 1736 it was mentioned as a village leased by a Jewish lessee. In 1789 there were 37 Jewish houses out of a total of 197 houses counted that year. In 1847 Jews registered in Skvira numbered 2,184. During the 1840s the ẓaddik R. Isaac Twersky (of the Chernobyl dynasty) settled in Skvira. The Jewish community was primarily engaged in the trade of grain and other agricultural products. In 1897 there were 8,910 Jews (49.5% of the population) in Skvira. During the Civil War, Jews suffered
Reshummot, 3 (1923), 214–21; Y. Ereẓ (ed.), Sefer Z.S. (1963), 108–10.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.