SHELUḤOT


SHELUḤOT (Heb. שְׁלוּחוֹת; "shoots," "sprouts"), kibbutz in northern Israel at the foot of Mt. Gilboa, 3 mi. (5 km.) S.W. of *Beth-Shean, affiliated with Ha-Kibbutz ha-Dati. Sheluḥot was founded at the time of the capture of Beth-Shean in the War of Independence (May 10, 1948) by immigrants from Germany and Hungary. In 1970 Sheluḥot had 340 inhabitants; in 2002, 414. Its farming was based on irrigated field and fodder crops, palm orchards, dairy cattle, poultry, turkeys, and carp ponds. It operated electrical and metal factories and guest rooms.

[Efraim Orni]


Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.