SAR SHALOM BEN MOSES HA-LEVI
SAR SHALOM BEN MOSES HA-LEVI (12th century), the last of the Egyptian geonim. Sar Shalom held office in Fostat from 1171 until at least 1195. He had followed his brother, the Gaon *Nethanel b. Moses ha-Levi, in the position. Before then, he had held the post of av bet din in the Yeshivah shel Ereẓ Israel of Damascus, which, according to *Benjamin of Tudela, was headed by Sar Shalom's brother Azariah. While acting as gaon, Sar Shalom signed himself rosh yeshivat Ereẓ ha-Ẓevi, or rosh yeshivat Ge'on Ya'akov ("Head of the Yeshivah of the Glory of Jacob").
Mann, Egypt, index; Mann, Texts, 1 (1931), 257f.; idem, in: HUCA, 3 (1926), 295f.; Baneth, in: Sefer ha-Yovel… A. Marx (1950), 77; S. Assaf, in: Tarbiz, 1 no. 2 (1930), 80f.; S.D. Goitein, ibid., 31 (1962), 369; 33 (1964), 184.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.