SARID (Heb. שָׂרִיד).
(1) Town on the border of the territory of Zebulun (Josh. 19:10, 12). The original Hebrew form of the name was evidently Sadod; it appears as Sedud in the Septuagint, and scholars have accordingly located it at Tell Shadūd in the central Jezreel Valley. The pottery on the site dates from the Late Bronze to the Arabic periods, early Iron Age pottery being especially abundant.
(2) Kibbutz in northern Israel, in the Jezreel Valley, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. Sarid was founded in 1926 by pioneers from Czechoslovakia, Germany, and East European countries. In 1970 Sarid had 620 inhabitants and maintained a regional high school of Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. In the mid-1990s the population was approximately 715, dropping to 611 in 2002. The kibbutz raised field crops and fruits, poultry, and dairy cattle and also had a grindstone factory.
Alt, in: PJB, 22 (1926), 59–60; 25 (1929), 38; Albright, in: BASOR, 19 (1925), 9; Abel, Geog, 2 (1938), 449; Press, Ereẓ, S.V.; Aharoni, Land, index. WEBSITE: www.sarid.org.il.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.