RAMAT ẒEVI (Heb. רָמַת צְבִי), moshav in N. Israel, on the Kokhav Plateau of Lower Galilee, affiliated with Tenu'at ha-Moshavim. It was founded in 1942 by a group of veteran farm laborers, who had previously set up a temporary settlement, based on auxiliary holdings at Shimron, near Nahalal. They were later joined by demobilized soldiers from World War II. After 1948 the population changed when most of the veteran settlers left and were replaced by new immigrants. Farming at Ramat Ẓevi consisted mainly of field crops and dairy cattle. The village is named after Ẓevi (Henry) Monsky, B'nai B'rith president. Its population in 1970 was 180. In 2002 its population was 388.
Source: Encyclopaedia Judaica. © 2008 The Gale Group. All Rights Reserved.